Meeting Keza

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Confessions

Do you ever have a secret that you just want to hold onto? Your heart might fold around it, the treasured peices of your life, and you want to keep it forever to open quietly in places only known by you. I have a secret that I have held. A beautiful secret that I am now ready to unfold.

Yesterday I met my daughter. For the first time I opened my arms and empty air gave way to a small, soft little girl. She is perfect. Unbelievably perfect.

How do you tell the world? How do you possibly make someone understand the bottomless brown eyes? What words can wrap around the discovery of small hands as they reach for your hair, nose, lips, eyes? How do you explain what it means to be chosen, what it means to adopt, to cleave, to vow? How do you make someone understand love without a knowing, faith without sight, hope without assurance? And what of joy when love, faith and hope are tried and proven? How do I convince you, world, that a brown skinned, dark eyed, curly haired girl is truly my daughter? That she was chosen by the God of the Universe and placed in my arms?

I am in Africa. It's true.

As most of you know, we waited months for a referral. It didn't make any sense to us why we were seemingly falling through the cracks. Other families would come and go with their children while we were left waking each morning to the same realization: empty inbox.

We received our referral. At the last minute. And it was different than we imagined. We didn't rush to shout our good news from the rooftops. We didn't get on Facebook and spill our guts. We kept it tucked neatly in the hope of our hearts. I've taken a break from blogs and forums, chat groups and email. I have discovered that sometimes silence really is golden and that sometimes, some of your most intimate moments are worth treasuring in the vault of your heart before they are released.

When I first saw the bright blue doors my hands began to shake. All the sudden I felt as though I was waking from sleep, from a deep dream that I have been dreaming for years. All the planning and hoping and praying, all the work and tears, frustration and antisipation have been leading me to these doors. And then, suddenly, I was there.

The only two moments in my life that compare to meeting my daughter was meeting my Gideon and meeting my Maddox. It was nothing less than spectacular. She saw me and broke into the sweetest smile I have ever seen. I held her as she touched my hair and ran her small hands along my face: eyes, nose, mouth, cheeks, chin. She was smaller and more beautiful than I ever imagined. She is dainty and feminine and fits in the crease of my arm perfectly. Only five months old, she is still such a baby. Her head bobbles and she can't yet sit on her own. She reaches to touch everything and is completely responsive. She smiles incessantly. I am captivated. Completely.

Welcome to the family, baby girl. We are going to love you forever.

11 comments:

  1. Hanna! We are so THRILLED for you! How wonderful! Kiss that sweet baby for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that is the best news! And I don't even know you! Made me cry tears of joy!!! I'm so happy for you and so glad she is finally in your arms safe and sound. Congratulations and enjoy that sweet little angel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!!!! i don't know what else to say! enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post brings me back to when we met our 6 month old, curly haired, dark skinned, brown eyed little girl through the blue door! She could not yet hold her head up either. Now she is almost 2 and I feel like the luckiest mom in the world for God to have placed her into our lives the way He did.

    Rejoicing with you!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What absolutely wonderful news! We are so excited for you! We are looking forward to hearing the wonderful news of our approval...hopefully soon! SO happy for your family! May God continue to bless your journey!
    Emily Lavender

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Hanna, all those prayers finally answered! Savor every minute! We can't wait to hear more...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so incredibly awesome! I am so happy for you, enjoy every moment! I bet you cannot wait for her to meet her sweet brothers & daddy. God is so awesome. Safe journeys home with your baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hanna- Oh how we are praising God today! So awesome to hear of how our prayers for your family have been answered. I will not be able to stop the flow of tears today I am so thrilled for your family and so joyful that you are there now with Jubilee. Have a wonderful day, we pray you get all the paperwork you need today to keep her with you. God is so faithful! We can't wait to hear more.

    -Sheri & Jeff
    AWAA Family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations:) Can't wait to hear more about your experience.
    There is hope for the rest of us waiting patiently.....thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how we rejoice with you today!!! To see God's faithfulness to provide...unspeakable joy!

    Blessings,
    Holly and Tommy (AWAA)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So did you end up going with the May group anyway even though you didn't get the referral in time?

    ReplyDelete