Meeting Keza

Friday, May 7, 2010

Let Us In

I feel empty. It is seven am. I am curled on the couch, watching the sun inch up in the sky. Half way around the world the sun is setting on an orphanage in Kigali. And in some small space, my daughter waits.

I was told that Friday, today, was my cut-off day for being able to travel with this next group. Everyone thought we would have a referral since it has already been prepared, since it is sitting on a desk, since it is minutes of effort away from being sent.

This is the 2nd time I have been left behind by a group of travelers. I am so happy that the children that belong to these wonderful parents will finally have a family. I can’t deny my excitement and joy for them. Still, I am left with a question: What about us?

We are still here. We are still available and waiting and hoping. We still have a place in our hearts and in a home. There is still an empty void here. What about us? Why have we been forgotten and pushed to the side for months? What about Jubilee? What about a baby girl who needs a family? What about clean diapers and clean food and medicine and strong arms and a warm bed? What about two brothers and a mom and a dad and a clan of uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents? What about toys and books and play? What about belonging and security?

The frustration is mounting. We cannot change the lives of every orphaned child. But we can change one and we can influence many. Rwanda, let us in. We love the child you hold.

5 comments:

  1. Hanna. I am so sorry. I know that those words don't begin to help or to touch the frustration and the hurt, but I am so, so sorry. Praying for you always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Hanna,
    We are still praying for you many times daily. I don't know why you've had to wait so long, but I do know that the pain of the wait will one day be but a memory. One day Jubilee's presense in your home will seem so natural that it will be hard to imagine that she was once absent. Much love to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear that. Do you mind me asking how long your dossier has been in Rwanda?
    We are hoping to adopt a girl and have been told a referral could take significantly longer. Hopefully you hear some news soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. praying for you and Jubilee....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought of you this afternoon as I listened to this on CD...

    Standing on the Promises
    by R. Kelso Carter

    Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
    Through eternal ages let His praises ring;
    Glory in the highest I will shout and sing,
    Standing on the promises of God.

    Standing, standing, Standing on the promises of God my Savior;
    Standing, Standing, I'm standing on the promises of God.

    Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
    When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
    By the living word of God I shall prevail,
    Standing on the promises of God.

    Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord,
    Bound to Him eternally by love's strong cord,
    Overcoming daily with the Spirit's sword,
    Standing on the promises of God.

    Standing on the promises I cannot fall,
    Listening every moment to the Spirit's call,
    Resting in my Savior, as my all in all,
    Standing on the promises of God.

    Talked to S this evening. Continuing to pray in Sterling. LZ

    ReplyDelete