Meeting Keza

Friday, February 19, 2010

Going to Bed

Every night, when my day is closing it's eyes to the world, Rwanda is opening hers. I lie in my bed converting the time difference. I imagine people eating their breakfast, opening doors, breathing deep new air, walking down roads, entering another day of work. I see offices unlocking, coffee brewing, staff greeting one another in the halls. I will sleep, my mind folded up in dark hours, detached from this whole other world and its happenings. I won’t think about the possibility of the next piece of paper being signed or processed. I won’t wonder if Jubilee is awake, if she happy, if she is sad. I won’t think about the details, the possibilities, the procedures, the way things have been, the way things are. And in the morning, when Rwanda is stretching herself in a tired yawn, I will wake, my mind firing like an engine. I will think of waking, then of my children. Is Gideon up? What of Maddox? And where, where is my Jubilee?

1 comment:

  1. She is there...waiting for her mama and daddy and big brothers. God will whisper in her ear promises of the family that awaits her, arms to hold her, eyes to watch her grow, ears to hear her laughter, hearts to love her. She knows. She waits, too.

    ReplyDelete