Meeting Keza

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chocolate and Brown Sugar

Keza is black. All of the other members of this family are not. (for now, anyway.) Somehow this difference was not noticed by either of my white children. I was surprised that through all of the pictures and videos that they viewed they never said anything. Nor did they notice when they met her. This entire week we have been home they have just been lovestruck by 'Baby Sister', as they should be. Wayne and I have decided not to bring the obvious difference to attention but to wait and see when they make the connection themselves and what their reactions might be. Today was that day for Gideon.

I was changing Keza on the couch when Gideon got up from the table where he had just eaten a chocolate flavored yogurt. He sat down beside me and I could tell he had something to say.
"Mommy, Keza is not purple."
"No, Gideon, she is not."
"Keza is not green either, Mommy."
"That's right Gideon. She's not green."
"Mommy, I wonder what color Keza is? Hmm. Let me think about it." Now he taps his finger on his head and assumes the 'thinker' position. "Mommy, Keza looks like my yogurt! She is brown!"
"That's right Gideon! Good job! She is beautiful-brown sugar-chocolate brown!"
"Ok, but mommy, lets not eat her."

Oh, for everything perfectly cute and adorable. I love my kids.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! How cute and precious. :) We need some more pictures of those kiddos... :) (hint, hint)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how completely astoundingly sweet! i love my grandkids...as they grow older i love the way they think and the things they say! By the way...i'm amazed that they like chocolate yogurt....yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanna, Wayne, Gideon and Maddox,
    Congratulations on the lovely new branch on your family tree!

    May this gift of God bring you tremendous joy. She is so lucky to have you in her life, Hanna. From Rwanda to Alaska.... with love!

    Tammy Swofford

    ReplyDelete