Meeting Keza

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Visa

We have had an emotionally tumultuous couple of days. On Wednesday when we went to the Embassy to check on our Visas we were told that for whatever reason our families Adam Walsh Act had not been run. They had no record of our names ever having been put in the system. This was a mistake on the part of the Embassy in Kigali. So, what to do. They said to try back on Friday, the day we were supposed to leave. So Friday morning, with knots in my stomach, I made my way back to the Embassy.

It wasn't ready. We had no choice but to revert to plan B: chill out. I refuse to freak out about this. Adoption is not a science. It's not something that looks the same for every family. It's not predictable or controllable. We knew that going into it, so while I am VERY homesick for my three boys at home (words cannot describe how much I miss them), I am trying to remember that this is one of the biggest adventures of my life and it will be more enjoyable if I can roll with the punches. In the scheme of my life, or this year, or even a few months, a few extra days are not going to kill me. Who wants to be predictable anyway?!

Yesterday we said goodbye to the other families and to my sister Heidi who had to get back to work. I wasn't expecting it to be such an emotional moment. Especially hugging my sister goodbye, which seems ridiculous since I will probably see her in less than a week! There were many tears as we hugged Nyanja and she said her goodbyes to Keza, who she loves. The other families will be missed. I love my new friends and can't wait for the visits! The hotel feels empty and significantly quieter without the buzz of other adoptive families. When everyone was about to walk out the door the hotel surprised us with a cake that said 'Thank You' on it. The woman in charge told us that they have seen few people with hearts as big as ours and on behalf of the Safari Club Hotel, she thanked us for caring for the children of Africa. It was so unexpected and sweet and completely humbling.

We don't know when the Adam Wash Check will be complete. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime, we are going to continue to see the sights there are to see. Tomorrow we have scheduled a trip to the Masai Ostrich Farm and Park where we will watch Ostrich races and get acquainted with the silly birds. Who knows, maybe we will be brave enough to ride one ourselves! Can you imagine me as an Ostrich Jockey!?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Hanna. We are praying! I hope you know that you are teaching all of us what it is to truly trust the Lord with each step of this process, even the bumps and glitches we aren't expecting. You have been full of His grace and patience through this entire journey, and I thank you for that inspiration. May He show you more of Himself and His peace in these next few days, and we will pray that all things come together exactly as they should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you, Hanna! I can't imagine how sweet that moment will be when you have all three of your children in your arms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear about your delays, but admire your attitude. Someone we met locally who adopted last year in Rwanda said, if at all possible, cherish every moment you are there. It feels a rush to get everything done and the focus is to get home as quick as possible. It is only a couple of days in whole grand scheme of things, like you say. Enjoy the quiet moments alone with your daughter as they will be harder to come by when you get home! Good luck with the check:)

    ReplyDelete