Meeting Keza

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Let The Sun Sing

At 10 AM I shut my laptop. Since no caves were handy to crawl in and since my children had already wrecked havok in my house while I sat like a crazed woman, punching the 'inbox' tab every two seconds, I knew I needed to make a decision. I could feel frustrated and depressed and frantic all morning or I could go outside and let the wind rustle my hair.

Spring is therapeutic to a wintered soul. The Alaskans who read this will understand that statement in a deeper way than most. Outsiders think AK must be horrible in the winter because of the cold. And it is cold, but that's really not the hard part. It’s the dark. The long black days.

But spring. It's amazing. You go grocery shopping and the whole store is buzzing. Everything feels electric and invigorating. The snow is melting, the sun is shining and every day is getting longer. Soon it will feel like 'The land of the midnight sun' again. We will bask in the summer light and have enough energy to light a country. We will climb mountains and raft rivers. We will remember why we live in this crazy, hardcore state.

I've been in winter in more ways than one. I crave holding my daughter in my arms in the same way I crave light in dark months. It’s been dark and full of shadows with no definite end in sight. At times disappointing and so frustrating.

This morning I rode bikes with my boys. We laughed and played and let the sun sing. I thought about the referral that was given this morning and the more I thought, the more it felt like spring. There is a buzz. Something is happening. And it’s coming soon.

6 comments:

  1. The business day is beginning in Rwanda as my day is ending. Perhaps while I sleep and our extended family sleeps, the documents will be scanned and emails sent and we will awake to see Jubilee's sweet little face. May it be so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Saturday, Rwanda! Enjoy your weekend and email us on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always hoping and praying that you get the referral..I can't wait to see her too.... : ) always praying

    love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are awaiting a 2 year old boy from Rwanda! Our DTR was March 11. Waiting is the hard part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monday is dawning in Rwanda....wake up, little Jubilee...is the sun shining in your eyes? Is this the day we get to see a picture of you for the very first time? Wake up far away country, we want to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Tuesday, Rwanda....and good morning, sweet Jubilee! I can't wait to see your smiling sweet face. I picture you with chubby cheeks and a smile that will make my heart leap! Perhaps today will be the day we will hear of you....

    ReplyDelete